Item Tagging Code: REP2020
Coming into 2020, we’ve seen rising trends from major industries like Adobe and global advertising campaigns that highlight the growing importance of diversity in stock. This movement towards more equal representation continues to redefine our visual landscape and though we continue to see clichés and stereotypes, the demand for real and authentic representations of diversity is stronger than ever before.
Customers are not just seeking out suitable content for their projects, but the content that matters the most for their business, and for the world.
We’re excited to announce the launch of our next Content Challenge for Envato Elements authors – Representing 2020. This challenge provides you with a unique opportunity to respond to new customer insights and trends, to create better and more relevant items in the future.
What is This Challenge About and Why?
From a series of recent UX interviews and research conducted with our customers, we know there is a growing need and demand for more authentic diversity-related items in our library. Customers around the world want to see their communities, languages and families reflected in videos, photos, music and more. That’s where you come in.
This aim of this challenge is to unpack what it means to create authentic and inclusive representations of the world we live in now – from age, gender, body-types, ethnicity, disability, religion, localization, designing for accessible experiences or the ways in which we challenge gender stereotypes and traditional roles.
The world is shifting and changing, and this needs to be reflected in the assets that you create as authors. By responding to these insights, you can better meet the needs of your ever changing markets and customers on a global scale.
What Does it Mean to Create Authentic and Inclusive Representations of Diversity?
Creating authentic and inclusive representations of diversity means creating content that helps to challenge stereotypes and showcase underrepresented communities or topics in a way that genuinely reflects global and local experiences. As content creators, you have a unique opportunity to champion diversity through your items in an authentic and powerful message.
For example, it could be featuring people from different backgrounds in your next item, or people with disabilities, or different body types – but be mindful of drawing on stereotypes or caricatures to represent other races, religions or ethnicities and that historical references can also have certain connotations. This sort of content does not qualify as authentic or inclusive representations of diversity.
Looking at your items through this lens will help ensure that many more people (including your customers and their audiences) feel seen and accepted in an increasingly competitive visual world, so we encourage you to do your own research into the content you create. Read more about what this means in Envato’s Diversity Matters article.
We hope that this challenge will help to spark the movement towards more honest and real representations within the stock industry and continue to fuel this very important mission worldwide.
How Does it Work?
Remember, this is more than just access to customer insights and requests, it’s an opportunity to earn a little extra too. There is a $9K USD prize pool on offer to be split between the winners (as selected by our Content Specialists) so, we want to see your best work!
Unlike the first challenge (based on specific search trends), this challenge is more broad. This is about creating high-quality content that fits in with this theme of diverse and inclusive content (outlined above). We’re opening this up far and wide to welcome as many categories into the mix as possible, so we welcome authors across graphics, web, video, photos and audio to get involved now!
Remember that we are not just looking for diverse content but content that genuinely reflects the world we live in now. These two work hand-in-hand to form a meaningful message for customers.
Here are some resources to help you get started:
- Envato’s Diversity Matters
- A Guide to Authenticity and Diversity in Photos
- Photos Most Popular Searches
- Why On Screen Representation Matter
- Celebrate Diversity in Design
- Designing Accessible Experiences
What Does this Look Like?
Here are just some examples of the types of content that would be applicable to this theme under our various categories:
Photos / Stock Video
- Photos or Videos that challenge traditional stereotypes and roles (e.g a male nurse) and that showcase authentic representations of diversity and inclusion.
- Photos or Videos that capture world events, social and cultural movements (e.g Pride) and some regional or religious holidays (eg. Diwali, Chinese or Islamic New Year).
- Please see some examples here.
- Music that captures seasonal/holiday events.
- Music that reflects local/regional communities.
- Graphics like templates, infographics and logos that challenge traditional stereotypes and roles (e.g gender inclusive icons) and that showcase authentic representations of diversity and inclusion.
- Flat Illustrations that show different body-types, ethnicities and abilities.
- Fonts & Typography that are accessibility-friendly. See this article here.
- Icon Kits that showcase diverse ages, genders, and abilities.
Web / Code
- Web Templates that provide accessibility-friendly features, including making sure all content is easily accessible, Alt text can be added to images, colors are chosen thoughtfully and more. See these articles here and here for more information!
The audience includes a wide range of stakeholders, from large companies to startups, small businesses and non-profit organizations. From tech to government or educational institutions, just about anywhere images are used (online and in print), high-quality authentic content representing diversity in all its forms, is in demand.
- Content should reflect real people in real situations.
- Facial expressions, posture, interactions, vulnerability all contribute greatly to making the scene authentic.
- Always consider how your items will be used. When shooting photos for example, this might imply leaving enough room for copy space or having a mix of horizontal and vertical shots (useful for social media), so that customers have options depending on their layout.
- When creating your items, consider both global and local references.
How do I Get involved?
You can get involved by creating new content for Elements that meets the authentic diversity and inclusive theme outlined above, then you’ll need to upload and publish your best new items to Elements using the tag [REP2020]:
- by 12th of May 2020 [11.59pm AEDT] for all content-types.
Only items new to Elements will be considered.
*Please remember that in addition to tagging your item with the primary contest tag REP2020, you will also need to tag your item(s) with the relevant keywords that your content is related to (plus any other relevant tags) if it makes sense to do so.
This means that if you want to be involved, you will need to firstly tag the item that you are submitting for the contest with the primary contest tag (REP2020) and then tag your item with the relevant keyword(s). For example, if your item features Thanksgiving in New York, you will also need to tag it with New York (and Thanksgiving).
After the 12th of May 2020, our Content Specialists and review team will select the best items (across content types) and the winning authors will receive a share in the $9K USD prize pool on offer!
As per usual, please keep in mind that you need to submit your items with enough time for them to be reviewed, approved and published on Elements by the deadline: 12th of May 2020.
Please note Envato’s usual terms, conditions and policies (including submission and review guidelines) will apply to such items submitted as part of this contest, so please only submit your best work that is in line with our content requirements. You can view the content requirements across categories here.
Happy creating! We can’t wait to see what you come up with. As usual, please remember our community guidelines as you post.
Terms and Conditions
Hi, we’re Envato (Envato, we, our or us)! Thanks for taking an interest in our Representing 2020 promotion (we’ll call this the Promo). We think it’s a fantastic opportunity to create some great new, diverse and inclusive content – it’s something that we’re really passionate about, and we’re glad you are too.
These are our terms for the Promo – please read these! By participating in the Promo, you’re agreeing to them.
- The promotion runs from 5:00pm, 12th of February 2020 to 11.59pm, 12th of May 2020 (Melbourne, Australia time). No entries will be accepted after that time.
- Anyone can enter this promotion as long as they are over 13 years of age. If you’re under 18, please get your parent or guardian’s permission to enter (and by entering, you’re confirming to us that you have your parent’s or guardian’s permission).
- To enter, you have to create new content for Elements that meets the theme outlined above, then upload and publish your best new items to Elements using the tag: REP2020 by 12th of May 2020 .
- We’ll select the winners based on what our judges deem to be the best items that represent the theme outlined above (across content types), on or before the 12th of May, 2020. All decisions relating to winners are final, and we’ll notify winners by email.
- Winning authors will be paid by Envato within one month from the winner selection. The total prize pool is $9,000 USD.
- Play fair! We reserve the right not to award prizes, to disqualify entrants, and to discontinue a contest if there is any illegal or fraudulent behaviour and also to cancel this Promo if there are any circumstances that mean the Promo can’t be run as planned. This includes technical issues, hacking, natural disasters and anything else beyond our control.
- This Promo cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional offer or coupon.
- Entrants are responsible for meeting any tax obligations that come up as a result of this Promo. However, we may withhold any part of the prize money if the law requires us to.
In terms of things we’ll need from you:
- You grant us an ongoing, worldwide, royalty-free non-exclusive license to use your entry (and any content associated with your entry) for the purposes of managing this Promo and otherwise in connection with promoting Envato’s products and services.
- You promise to us that any information that is given to us is true and correct and your entry is your own original creation and work, and does not infringe the rights (including copyright) of any other person. You promise to indemnify us in relation to any loss or damage resulting from any breach of this promise whether it is on purpose or not.
This promotion is run by Envato Pty Ltd whose registered office is at 121 King Street, Melbourne 3000, Victoria, Australia.