This month, we have introduced a new feature on the Envato forums that will hopefully make it easier for you to find out when and where customers are discussing your items! Check out how it works and all the ways it can help you as an author.
What is it?
The Saved Searches plugin sends you a daily private message with links to any forum posts containing search terms that you have saved. Use it to track mentions of your main items, helping you to discover potential customer conversations without having to read through every thread on the forums.
How does it work?
Every 24 hours, the forums will send you a private message containing links to posts that contain your search terms. These are displayed as threaded conversations (one message thread per search term), so you can easily find notifications without having your inbox flooded with hundreds of separate messages.
The searches are currently available to any author at Level 3 or higher. We may adjust the following settings later, but they currently allow for the following number of saved searches:
- Level 3-4: 5 saved searches
- Level 5-6: 10 saved searches
- Level 7+: 15 saved searches
Things I can use this for:
- Item names for your main products: Get a notification when someone is discussing your item on the forums!
- Specific product categories: Do you make photography themes? What about WordPress map plugins? Try saving a search for those, so you can keep an eye out for customers looking for a recommendation that matches your niche.
- If you’re saving a search for a multi-word term, use quotation marks to ensure you only get results for the full term. For example: “better envato” tracks a specific item that carries that name, while better envato (without the quotation marks) picks up any posts with either the word “better” or “envato” in them.
How do I set it up?
Start by going to your account settings: click on your avatar picture up the top of the page, and then click on the cog icon:
Go to Preferences > Saved Searches and enter the terms you want to save. For most authors, we recommend adding the names of your top-selling items. If you focus on a specific category or niche, you might also be interested in monitoring terms like
real estate or
electronica to keep an eye on relevant discussions.
That helps you to quickly locate pre-sales questions wherever they may be posted on the forums, and it also gives you another tool for monitoring potential issues with your items, if there are complaints or other requests.
If there are 1-5 results for a search, you’ll receive a private message that looks like this:
Searches that had more than 5 results in the last 24hrs will produce a private message that just contains thread titles and links to the relevant posts, like this: